Welcome To Naijazee Blog Read all the latest news in Nigeria and get exclusive access to stories, photos, video, gossip, scandals, and more.

Nigerian Businessman Being Investigated For N75m Fraud Dies During COVID-19 Test

A businessman Godwin Julius who was being investigated for his alleged involvement in a N75m fraud, has suddenly died while being tested for COVID-19 at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, Lagos State in Nigeria.

According to the Police, Godwin and one Obinale Osunwoke were arrested in the Ejigbo area of the state and were detained after they traced some of the money to an account belonging to the late businessman.

The PUNCH Metro further reports that the policemen acted on a petition by the representative of a United States of America-based company, Terraroad’s International Incorporation, Wisdom Chris, that the firm had been swindled out of N75m.

The two impersonated the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, and defrauded the firm of $200,000 with forged documents.

He said, “Some of the suspects are still at large. My company in the US got a law firm to write a petition and the only thing I know about the case is that the suspects claimed to be the Minister of Works, Power and Housing, and certain things transpired between my company and them, and the firm, was defrauded of $200,000.

“But when we went to verify the documents, we realised that they were fake. The suspects later confessed that they were fraudster and wrote an email to that effect. Initially, we got a law firm to investigate the matter, but when they were not forthcoming, the case was reported to the police.”

While the investigation was ongoing, the police approached the court to obtain a remand order for Godwin and Osunwoke.

However, Godwin reportedly took ill during investigation and was taken to the Police Hospital in Falomo, where a doctor advised that he should be taken to the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, for a COVID-19 test.

Osunwoke, who alleged that the police ignored several pleas to grant them bail, said when Godwin’s health deteriorated, they took him to the hospital for the COVID-19 test, but he died in the process.

He said, “One Charles said he needed a domiciliary account and when I asked why, he told me he had some business he was doing overseas. I told Godwin and he called Charles to confirm before his account was used.

“They are saying over N72m, but what was paid into Godwin’s account was $22,000, and out of that amount, we took 20 per cent and Charles was to take 80 per cent. So, when we were arrested, the police refused to grant us bail despite our lawyer and families pleading with them to grant us bail.

“The police took us to court to get an order for us to remain in their custody, but our lawyer disagreed and complained about Godwin’s health, but the magistrate gave the order for the police to detain us for 21 more days, which will elapse on June 29, 2020.

“When Godwin’s health deteriorated, the Investigating Police Officer took him to hospitals in Obalende and Yaba, where he was rejected. Godwin was later taken to the Police Hospital in Falomo and I followed them.


Post a Comment